You’re Not Alone – Times Are Changing – Preserve Memories
5 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT FUNERALS
Farewell Project Beginner’s Guide to Goodbye
1. You’re Not Alone
- Nobody knows anything about any of this stuff. That’s the way the funeral industry has kept it for the past 75 years: deliberately keeping you in the dark.
- So don’t feel bad. Don’t think you’re stupid. You don’t know what you don’t know.
- But we can help teach you what you need to know and empower you to take control of your own life, and death.
2. Funeral Industry Isn’t Changing, But People Are
- 2019: Cremation Rate 53% (In 1995: 21%, 1961: 4%). Means less bodies.
- Baby Boomers find the body to be a downer: they want Celebrations of Life.
- Rise in Green burial (natural, eco-friendly options).
- Simple shroud
- Biodegradable caskets: wicker, pine, bamboo, cypress, eucalyptus, cardboard
- Nature preserves
3. Don’t Pre-Pay. Do Pre-Talk. Do Pre-Plan
- Paying a funeral home or cemetery ahead of time for a Pre-Need package is a Scam.
- Simple Plan – choose what you want done with your body & for your memorial.
- Simple Will – because 71% of people don’t have a will.
- Simple Savings – an account that you own with no risk & high-yield.
4. Have It Your Way
- You can have the funeral/memorial you want.
- Be it a traditional religious ceremony or a big party at a rodeo.
- Whatever you want, you can have. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Nowadays there are options for every wish.
5. Preserve Memories & Stories, Not Bodies & Caskets
- If you want to have a traditional embalming, open casket viewing, and then pay eight grand for a casket that you will bury in the ground never to see again, then by all means go for it. After all, our #4 Advice is: Have it your way.
- But consider products & services that Make Memories, Save Stories, and begin the process of Active Remembering.
- Lifestory Interview with a loved one that you can watch again and again.
- Celebration Movie that can be shared across all media platforms as a tribute and biography.
- Digital Letters to tell those closest to you how much they mean to you.
- Favorite Things makes family & friends feel good by giving them a personal gift that came from you.
What is Active Remembering?
It’s keeping the flame of your loved one alive by proactively working to remember them.
Post Photos – Tell Stories – Share Memories