Cemeteries, Mausoleums & Memorial Parks
- Cemeteries: most are non-profit & tax-fee – and also a Scam
- Mausoleums: even worse – and a bigger Scam
- Memorial Parks: likewise – and the biggest Scam
- Why Scams? They have Zero regulations but they do have rules. What to do:
- Get the cemetery’s rules & regulations.
- Understand what you’re buying.
- Don’t believe anyone who tells you something is required or barred by law.
- Don’t be swayed by promises of “protection.”
- Be aware of additional charges.
- “Perpetual care” may not be.
- Think twice (or three times) before buying in advance. Or simply don’t – a better idea.
Vaults, Grave Liners or Sealers
- For what purpose?
- To try to preserve your loved one? Impossible.
- To keep the grass atop level and even so it is easier for them to mow? Yes, that’s the real reason you buy an expensive vault.
- In New York & Vermont (possibly more) you can refuse a vault on religious grounds.
- “Urn Vault” – total Scam.
Memorials & Markers
- It is against the law for a cemetery to refuse to accept a Monument bought from a third-party (same as with funeral homes & caskets).
- When shopping for a Marker:
- Get a copy of the cemetery’s rules & regulations so you know what type they will and won’t accept.
- Shop around. 3rd parties are often cheaper.
- Get a mock-up of the marker and lettering before you have the stone carved. Mistakes happen.
- Do business in writing. With price, install deadline, and final design approved.
- You’re probably sick of hearing this by now but we can not emphasize enough that:
- #1: Pre-Need is a Scam.
- If you don’t control the money, bad things can happen.
- Better off setting up a bank account of your own.
- Don’t Pre-Pay. Do Pre-Talk. Do Pre-Plan.