Along with the rise in cremation (over 50%), Green Burials are exploding in popularity:
- Rapid acceptance and utilization among Baby Boomers & younger generations.
- And a Green Burial requires neither embalming, nor an expensive casket, thus eliminating the need for a traditional Funeral Director.
Remember: whatever you choose to do, the Human Body is 73.8% Water so it’s not going to last long regardless.
- What is it? A body unembalmed either placed in a biodegradable casket or a simple shroud and then buried in the grounds of a memorial nature park.
A Simple Shroud
- Wicker Basket
- Pine, Bamboo, Cardboard, Willow, Cypress, Eucalyptus
Rise in Natural Parks. Memorial Ecosystems.
- Ramsey Creek Preserve in South Carolina – one of the first.
- Joshua Tree now has a natural burial section.
- Other Preserves across the country:
- Add list…
Other Environmentally Friendly Options
The options are enormous:
- If cremated: Ashes scattered somewhere? Where?
- Organ Donation
- 100,000 people on waiting list for hearts, livers & kidneys.
- Full Body Donation to science.
- Companies offering: Science Care, Medcure, BioGift
- Medical Students need bodies
- Become a Crash Test Dummy
- Army Ballistics Unit
- Ecopod & Acorn Urn – both made of recycled paper
- Bios Urn, Roots Tree & Capsula Mundi (become a tree)
- Infinity Burial Suit – MIT designed mushroom spore suit
- Urban Death Project (now Recompose) & FOREST
- Composting corpses